Two more traffic shifts are scheduled this week on LBJ, the second and third of four major traffic shifts scheduled for September. Operations will be accompanied by bypass and cross-street openings in the eastern portion of the project.
During the switches, traffic from the old LBJ main lanes will be moved to the newly-constructed LBJ general purpose lanes, and will gear up LBJ for more excavation so that the new tolled TEXpress Lanes can be built.
The first traffic shift will begin Friday, Sept. 20 at 9 pm, impacting a portion of the eastbound main lanes. Traffic will be reduced to one lane from Josey Lane to Joe Ratcliff. As part of this switch, the following entrances and exits to I-635 will be closed temporarily:
- The eastbound exit ramp to Josey Lane
- The connector from southbound IH-35E to eastbound I-635
- The eastbound exit ramp to Marsh Lane
- The eastbound entrance ramp from Webb Chapel
- The left lane of the eastbound frontage road from Webb Chapel to Marsh
All closures should be restored by 10 am on Saturday, Sept. 21.
The second shift will begin Saturday, Sept. 21 at 7 pm and will impact the eastbound main lanes between Rosser Road and Welch Road, again reducing traffic to a single lane during this time. As part of this switch, the following entrances and exists to I-635 will be closed temporarily:
- The eastbound entrance ramp from Marsh Lane
- The eastbound exit ramp to Midway Road
- The eastbound entrance ramp from Midway Road
- The left lane of the eastbound frontage road between Midway and the Midway entrance ramp
All closures should be restored by 12 pm on Sunday, Sept. 22.
The traffic shifts will be followed by the opening of the brand new Park Central bypass lanes, allowing commuters on the frontage road to avoid the Park Central intersection if they choose. Northbound Park Central itself and the White Rock Creek & Lake Trail will also be re-opened at this time.
Message boards and signs will be placed along the roadway to advise motorists of all closures and detours.
All closures are subject to weather conditions and will be postponed, if necessary.
For the latest on lane closures and traffic-related news, visit the “Lane Closures” listing at www.lbjexpress.com. Be sure to subscribe to email updates and construction notices and sign up for our text message alerts by texting @lbjexpress to 23559!