Since its construction some 40 years ago, LBJ Freeway (I-635) has become one of themost congested and crowded roadways in the nation.
That is about to change.
Beginning in 2011, LBJ and a portion of I-35E will undergo a dramatic, 5-year transformation.
Here is what the new LBJ Express will mean for North Texas.
Traffic Relief — the LBJ Express will:
- Nearly double the capacity on LBJ Freeway
- Retain and rebuild same number of current freeway lanes
- Add up to six new express managed toll lanes on I-635 and four on I-35
- Accommodate future population growth for next three decades
Mobility Choices — the LBJ Express will:
- Enable drivers to select freeway lanes for short or non-urgent trips
- Guarantee fast 50 mph trip on LBJ Express managed toll lanes
- Deliver real-time traffic information to help drivers make smart decisions
- Empower drivers to get where they want, when they want
Community Commitment — the LBJ Express will:
- Expand 17 miles of congested roadway by 2016
- Boost the local economy with employment and contracting opportunities
- Minimize disruptions during construction
- Enhance business access with continuous frontage roads
- Cultivate open communication with neighbors and drivers
- Improve quality of life for families and businesses
Check back for updates about the project, alternative traffic routes during construction, and related opportunities for North Texas businesses.
Be sure to sign up for our e-Updates and traffic eAlerts to make your commute as convenient as possible while LBJ’s transformation takes place.
Thank you for your interest in the new LBJ Express.
To see maps of the LBJ Express Project: Click Here.